- The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Oscar-winning producer Gerald Molen has accused the Obama administration of targeting director Dinesh D'Souza, his conservative colleague who was indicted last week on campaign finance charges.

Mr. D’Souza, who directed “2016: Obama’s America,” a documentary sharply critical of the president, was indicted on charges of making illegal contributions to a 2012 Senate campaign. He pleaded not guilty and was released Friday on $500,000 bond.

Mr. Molen, an executive producer for “2016” and Oscar winner for “Schindler’s List,” told Fox News’ Megyn Kelly on Monday night that he believes Mr. D'Souza is being targeted because of his films.

“The worst thing that I think someone could think is that they could be put in a position to be intimidated by their own government,” he said. “I really believe that in this case with Dinesh that somebody is going to wake up and this is going to be dismissed.”

Sen. Ted. Cruz voiced similar concerns over the weekend when he tried to steer CBS’ Bob Schieffer into talking about Mr. D'Souza.

“Can you image the reaction if the Bush administration had went, gone and prosecuted Michael Moore and Alec Baldwin and Sean Penn?” the Republican asked on “Face the Nation,” before Mr. Schieffer changed the subject.

Mr. Molen and Mr. D'Souza are working together on a follow-up to 2016, titled “America,” which will include re-creations of major historical events.

“I want to take this progressive, leftist critique head on,” Mr. D’Souza says in the trailer. “I want to effectively answer and debunk it.”

The film is set for release on Independence Day.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide