- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Doctors: Brazilian skier unable to move arms, legs
SAO PAULO (AP) - The Brazilian Olympic Committee said early Wednesday the gymnast who was expected to compete in freestyle skiing at the Sochi Games is unable to move her arms and legs following an accident while training in the United States.
The committee said in a statement that Lais Souza, who participated in the 2004 and 2008 Summer Olympics, is being treated at an intensive care unit at University of Utah hospital. Doctors said she is “awake and can follow commands” but is breathing with the help of ventilators.
“Lais has a long recovery process in front of her,” Team Brasil doctor Antonio Marttos said in the statement. “A long-term prognostic cannot be predicted at this time. Her medical team is doing everything possible to allow her to have the best recovery possible.”
The BOC said the 25-year-old Souza was wearing a helmet when the accident happened as she skied “freely” alongside Canadian coach Ryan Snow at Park City. The committee said she was not injured while practicing her freestyle maneuvers, but no other details on the accident were provided.
She missed the 2012 Olympics as a gymnast because of a hand injury.
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Obama slaps Putin with sanctions, restrictions on visas
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- House defeats Democrats' attempt to rebuke Issa
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again