- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Grand Canyon to get minor face lift for now
Question of the Day
TUSAYAN, Ariz. (AP) - Arizona is withdrawing a plan to expand the existing terminal at the airport just south of Grand Canyon National Park.
The decision comes after the Federal Aviation Administration told the state Department of Transportation that it would need an environmental assessment before adding 2,000 square feet to the terminal.
Department spokesman Ryan Harding says the state determined that the assessment wasn’t worth the effort or money. The expansion would have created a waiting area for passengers who had been cleared through security.
The department still has plans to replace the existing 8,850-square foot terminal to allow for commercial flights into the area, which would require a review of environmental impacts.
TWT Video Picks
Gun rights apply to the District, too
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq