- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Mariners trade Peguero to Royals, add Baker
Question of the Day
The 26-year-old Peguero has spent parts of the last three seasons with Seattle. He is a career .195 hitter with nine home runs and 27 RBIs in 219 at-bats in the majors.
He ranked seventh in the Pacific Coast League with 19 homers in 2013, along with a .260 batting average, 28 doubles and 83 RBIs at Triple-A Tacoma. Peguero was designated for assignment on Jan. 16 when the Mariners signed free agent catcher John Buck.
Kansas City also designated left-handed pitcher Everett Teaford for assignment. Teaford made one appearance for the Royals in 2013, pitching two-thirds of an inning at Cleveland on July 14.
Seattle also agreed to a minor league contract with 32-year-old right-hander Scott Baker, who had elbow ligament replacement surgery in April 2012. He made three starts for the Chicago Cubs last September, pitching 15 innings with a 3.60 ERA and no record. Baker has a 63-48 record with a 4.14 ERA in 162 starts and four relief appearances with Minnesota (2005-11) and the Cubs.
The speaker avoids blighting Republican high hopes for November
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world