- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
SUPER BOWL: Profiles of key players
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Projected starters and key players for the Super Bowl:
Russell Wilson, QB (3), 5-11, 206, 2nd season, Wisconsin
Holds NFL record for wins at start of career with 24 … Third-round draftee who immediately seized starting job and led Seattle to 2012 playoffs … Dynamic runner who excels throwing on the run … Poised in the pocket, very dangerous outside of it … Played at North Carolina State, then one year at Wisconsin as grad student.
Marshawn Lynch, RB, (24) 5-11, 215, 7th season, California
“Beast Mode” with a penchant for Skittles … Powerful back with a burst, broke 40-yard TD run in NFC title game … Rushed for 1,257 yards and 12 TDs this season … Also a threat as receiver out of backfield.
Michael Robinson, FB (26), 6-1, 240, 8th season, Penn State
Former college QB who made transition to RB and now fullback … Cut in preseason after three years with Seahawks, then re-signed in October … Also has excelled on special teams.
Undrafted out of college, plays with an attitude about it … Can get deep but is not a speed demon … Versatile, made a 69-yard kickoff return in NFC title game … Wilson looks for him in key situations.
Golden Tate, WR (81), 5-10, 202, 4th season, Notre Dame
Makes some spectacular catches and is a deep threat … Second-round pick in 2010 who also plays doesn’t back down … Led team with 64 catches, 898 yards and had five TDs this season … Made infamous TD catch vs. Green Bay in 2013 that was last call by replacement officials.
Jermaine Kearse, WR (15), 6-1, 209, 2nd season, Washington
Caught winning TD pass in NFC title game for 35 yards on fourth down in final quarter … Undrafted in 2012, played in seven games as rookie with only three receptions. Took over third receiving spot with injuries to Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice, had 15.7-yard average on 22 catches four TDs.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again