- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
Officials: Conn. quarry fire may smolder for days
Question of the Day
BRANFORD, Conn. (AP) - Connecticut officials say a fire at a quarry that has supplied granite for the Statue of Liberty and other landmarks is likely to smolder for several days.
Several hundred people within a mile of Stony Creek Quarry were told to stay away for about two hours Thursday afternoon after local officials became concerned that explosives used for blasting might explode.
A small privately owned drone was flown over the fire and showed the explosives were far enough from some burning protective rubber mats to allow firefighters to safely smother it.
Fire officials say quarry workers accidentally started the fire by burning cardboard in which explosives had once been stored. Authorities say the fire continues to smolder because it’s burning a large amount of densely packed rubber and metal cable.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world