- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- African leader cancels trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag when Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
KNIGHT: Obama liberals expand government to fill hole left by declining morals
Freedom-loving Americans need to resist, pray for a revival
Question of the Day
The trouble with liberals is not just that they eventually run out of other people’s money, as Margaret Thatcher observed. It’s that they find new ways every day to project their own dysfunctional worldview on the rest of us.
It’s like living next door to a nuclear-waste dump run by the Bumpusses. You’d like to ignore it, but shards of spent fuel keep falling into your yard and setting your dog on fire.
This is how non-progressive Americans increasingly view our ever-coarsening, “progressive” popular culture and the ruling elites who promote it.
They’re aghast at not only the moral meltdown, but the rise of dictatorial executive power in Washington, as explained to us by the president in his State of the Union address, in which he reduced Congress to a helpmate at best.
As for whether the culture is rotten, ask any anxious parent whose child is out of sight for more than five minutes. Ask middle-class wage earners working on their tax return, trying to please an increasingly ruthless Internal Revenue Service.
It’s all connected.
As the moral, marriage-based culture collapses, the government grows bigger to pick up the pieces.
In such a culture, it’s easy for the president and his media allies to stoke the fires of envy and spread more dependency. It works even better when the people are stoned.
Having softened us up with cultural rot, the left is driving for total political control, with little effective opposition.
Failing to hold the administration accountable for a multitude of scandals, the Republican leadership is now trying to figure out how to raise the national debt and to turn 11 million undocumented Democrats into voters.
To suggest we can just tune out the cultural, political and social mayhem and go about our business is a non-starter. There is no escape. Even if you turn off the news, it seeps in everywhere.
Culturally speaking, there is no traditional moral standard that does not evoke a savage response from the dominant culture. Ask Phil Robertson of “Duck Dynasty.”
Likewise, there is no earned money that is not considered fair game for confiscation in the name of progress and “equality.” If you complain, you’re at best a racist, and at worst a Tea Party terrorist for whom the IRS is sharpening its knife.
The worst sin of all in the age of iron-fisted, liberal “tolerance” is to react to moral degradation by failing to facilitate it. If you get caught in a nonfestive mood, like the Christian bakery owners and wedding photographers who think the First Amendment protects their right not to be forced to celebrate sin, you are in legal jeopardy.
Coming to your state, unless you live in Jerry Brown’s California or Chris Christie’s New Jersey, which already have this abomination, is a law that says right is wrong and that wrong is mandatory.
About the Author
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a columnist for The Washington Times.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens