- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Senate confirms Yellen as next Fed chairman
Ms. Yellen is the first woman to head the century-old Fed, and takes the helm at a time when the central bank is making a critical and delicate transition back to more normal interest rate policies after having massively stimulated the economy with near-zero rates and $4 trillion of unprecedented bond purchases since 2008.
The Fed, at the direction of Mr. Bernanke and Ms. Yellen, has already started to unwind its extraordinary measures. Under a schedule outlined by Mr. Bernanke, Ms. Yellen is expected to continue to withdraw Fed funding from the bond market throughout 2014.
Only a handful of Republicans voted for the nomination, though many of Ms. Yellen’s critics were quick to say she was well qualified to head the board. Ms. Yellen has years of experience not only on the Fed board but as president of the Fed’s San Francisco reserve bank and as a chief economic adviser to former President Bill Clinton.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- U.S. Treasury warns China on currency
- IMF gives U.S. Congress year-end deadline for passing reforms
- IMF eyes 'Plan B' for reforming itself without U.S.
- Russia, China leading efforts to bypass U.S. as IMF reforms stall on Capitol Hill
- Jobs: U.S. private sector finally makes up recession's losses
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Kirsten Dunst: Actress sparks feminist ire: 'You need a man to be a man'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes