- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Senate confirms Yellen as next Fed chairman
Ms. Yellen is the first woman to head the century-old Fed, and takes the helm at a time when the central bank is making a critical and delicate transition back to more normal interest rate policies after having massively stimulated the economy with near-zero rates and $4 trillion of unprecedented bond purchases since 2008.
The Fed, at the direction of Mr. Bernanke and Ms. Yellen, has already started to unwind its extraordinary measures. Under a schedule outlined by Mr. Bernanke, Ms. Yellen is expected to continue to withdraw Fed funding from the bond market throughout 2014.
Only a handful of Republicans voted for the nomination, though many of Ms. Yellen’s critics were quick to say she was well qualified to head the board. Ms. Yellen has years of experience not only on the Fed board but as president of the Fed’s San Francisco reserve bank and as a chief economic adviser to former President Bill Clinton.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Stalemate on the Hill may spare Fannie and Freddie from reform
- U.S. Treasury warns China on currency
- IMF gives U.S. Congress year-end deadline for passing reforms
- IMF eyes 'Plan B' for reforming itself without U.S.
- Russia, China leading efforts to bypass U.S. as IMF reforms stall on Capitol Hill
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014