- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Freak lightning storm kills 1, injures many on California beach
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
Ravens owner: 2013 season a ‘failure’ with no playoffs
Question of the Day
Newsome will have to determine what to do with tackles Eugene Monroe and Michael Oher, and whether he needs to upgrade at center and guard.
“I think we’ve got to get bigger in the interior of our offensive line,” Newsome said. “I think we need to have a more athletic safety in the defense. We need to get a receiver that can make a third-and-7, third-and-8 catch and to be able to run after the catch. Those are some areas that we can add some. I have no doubt that the players we retain on this team will get better.”
Although offense was the most glaring shortcoming, the defense had it low points, too. Of the 352 points the Ravens allowed, 134 came in the fourth quarter.
“Not having the ability to get off the field maybe cost us three or four games this year,” Newsome said.
Newsome said he will not restructure contracts, but would be willing to extend pacts to get under the salary cap. Linebacker Terrell Suggs led the team with 10 sacks and ranked third in tackles, but his contract comes with a lofty salary cap number. Which means he could be in line for a new deal, like it or not.
“Terrell is a real good football player,” Newsome said. “That being said … I have no aversion to letting good football players walk out the door. We’ll look at every aspect of it and see what’s best for the 2014 and 2015 and 2016 Ravens and make that decision once we get to it.”
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's trial to test definitions of political corruption
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq