- The Washington Times - Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is scheduled to speak publicly for the first time about his administration’s involvement in orchestrating a traffic jam at the base of the George Washington Bridge, which led to allegations that his office was trying to punish a local mayor who refused to endorse him.

Mr. Christie, a possible presidential contender, plans to speak from his office at 11 a.m.

The story exploded on Wednesday after NewJersey.com obtained a series of emails and text messages that linked Bridget Anne Kelly, one of Mr. Christie’s three deputy chiefs of staff, and Christie-backed officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to the unexpected lane closures on the George Washington Bridge, which connects New Jersey and New York.


SEE ALSO: N.J. Gov. Christie ‘outraged’ at bridge scandal, says he just learned of aides’ behavior


Mr. Christie canceled a scheduled event Wednesday and broke his silence later in the day by releasing a statement in which he said that he is “outraged” that he had been “misled by a member of my staff.”

“One thing is clear: this type of behavior is unacceptable, and I will not tolerate it because the people of New Jersey deserve better,” he said. “This behavior is not representative of me or my Administration in any way, and people will be held responsible for their actions.”

Mr. Christie had previously insisted that the lane closures and ensuing traffic that clogged the streets in Fort Lee, which sits at the base of the bridge, and the surrounding bridge was the result of a traffic study.