- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
BRAZIL BEAT: Celebs welcome at Brazil training
Question of the Day
WAFFLES FOR PANCAKES
SALVADOR, Brazil (AP) - In the great tradition of food bets between political leaders, Matthew Barzun, the U.S. ambassador to Britain, has challenged his Belgian counterpart to a friendly wager.
Under the terms proposed in a letter from Barzun: If the Americans win the World Cup round of 16 game between the countries, Guy Trouveroy will cook Belgian waffles for Barzun and his colleagues at the U.S. Embassy. If Belgium wins Tuesday, Barzun will cook American pancakes for the Belgians at their embassy.
RIBEIRAO PRETO, Brazil (AP) - France coach Didier Deschamps had a spot of microphone trouble during his World Cup news conference Tuesday.
First, the sound was too loud, with Deschamps’ booming voice resonating around the Pedro II theater house in Ribeirao Preto, where France holds its media activity. Then, it was far too quiet and he could barely be heard.
“Everything OK, chief? Hello?” a bemused Deschamps said as he turned to the sound technician, who was desperately trying to fix it.
Deschamps carried on talking, but the problem persisted.
“Is he trying to wind me up? They’ve sent the cook instead,” Deschamps joked. “This is a disaster.”
The issue was eventually resolved, and Deschamps was free to talk about Friday’s quarterfinal against Germany.
- By Jerome Pugmire - www.twitter.com/jeromepugmire
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world