- Nancy Pelosi is adamant: Congress worked together when Bush was president
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous veteran
- Kentucky city called socialist for buying gas station, undercutting competitor fuel prices
- Israel hits five mosques, sports complex in overnight Gaza strikes
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters’ questions on book tour
- EPA tweet baffles: ‘I’m now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’ iPhone game
- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez tells Hispanics to vote and ‘punish those’ who oppose amnesty
- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
Diego Costa set to move from Atletico to Chelsea
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) - Chelsea has an agreement to sign Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid after paying the striker’s buyout clause on Tuesday.
Spanish media reported Costa’s buyout clause was worth 38 million euros ($51.9 million).
The Brazil-born Costa scored 35 goals last season to help Atletico win its first Spanish league title in 18 years and reach the Champions League final, knocking out Chelsea in the semifinals. However, the 25-year-old forward failed to impress in Spain’s underwhelming title defense at the World Cup.
After twice being loaned out to smaller Spanish clubs, Costa had a breakout season in 2012-13 under coach Diego Simeone en route to Atletico winning the Copa del Rey.
Also on Tuesday, Chelsea announced a one-year contract extension for Australia goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, who arrived on a free transfer from Fulham last summer and was backup to Petr Cech.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters' questions on book tour
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- EDITORIAL: Snipers from the left target Hillary
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq