- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Kirk demands background checks on immigrant kids
Question of the Day
CHICAGO (AP) - U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk is demanding criminal background checks on the unaccompanied children that have crossed the U.S. border with Mexico.
According to Kirk, 429 unaccompanied minors are living in Chicago.
The Illinois Republican says he’s sent letters to the U.S. ambassadors to Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador asking whether their embassies have performed criminal background checks. He says the federal government must ensure the immigrants “pose no threat.”
Democratic U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez on Friday called Kirk’s comments “shameful.” He says Kirk “is trying to paint (children) as criminals.”
More than 57,000 unaccompanied children have arrived in the United States since October.
Many are trying to reunite with family and escape violence in their countries. They also report hearing that once in the U.S. they’d be allowed to stay.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors