- Associated Press - Friday, July 11, 2014

WASHINGTON (AP) - From Tripoli to Washington, military leaders struggled to learn what was happening in Libya and find a way to help when a diplomatic post and CIA compound in Benghazi came under attack the night of Sept. 11, 2012, and the next morning.

Spotty communications and a lack of nearby troops or planes at the ready frustrated their efforts. There were 10 uniformed service members in Libya when the call for help came, according to testimony to congressional investigators. They were based at the capital, Tripoli, some 600 miles from the nearly lawless port city of Benghazi, which had fallen under the control of militias since the overthrow of Moammar Gadhafi.

A timeline shows the military’s response to the attacks, based on the testimony of nine officers interviewed by congressional investigators (with approximate local times in Benghazi):



-9:40 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 11: A large group of men rush into the diplomatic compound, firing guns and setting fires. A diplomatic security officer hustles visiting Ambassador Chris Stevens and computer specialist Sean Smith into a safe room in one of the residences.

The security officers and the ambassador use cellphones to call a CIA post about a mile away and the embassy in Tripoli. The alert - “We’re under attack” - is passed to the embassy’s defense attache and other officers who were there to help train and equip Libyan forces. The officers begin relaying the information up their chain of command, putting out word that U.S. aircraft may be needed for an evacuation and reaching out to Libyan forces for help.

-10:15 p.m.: In Stuttgart, Germany, headquarters of the military’s joint Africa Command, in the same time zone as Libya, Rear Adm. Charles “Joe” Leidig Jr., is awakened by the phone: “I rolled over and got a report that there had been protesters, and they had overrun the facility in Benghazi, but that the ambassador was in a safe room and was safe.”

Until that moment, Leidig and others at AFRICOM didn’t know there was a temporary diplomatic post in Benghazi, or a secret CIA facility, or that the ambassador was visiting the city that night.

-10:30 p.m.: Gen. Carter Ham, then head of AFRICOM, gets word of the attack while visiting the Pentagon. It’s about 4:30 p.m. in Washington. He walks down the hall to tell Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and they head upstairs to alert Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. Dempsey and Panetta inform President Barack Obama.



-Until about 11:30 p.m.: The attack on the diplomatic post lasts about 45 minutes. Unable to break into the safe room, the attackers pour diesel fuel in the building and set its furniture afire. A security team from the CIA site, located about a mile away, arrives and helps repel the attackers.

The CIA and embassy security forces repeatedly try to rescue Stevens and Smith but are thwarted by blinding, noxious smoke. They discover Smith’s body in the safe room but can’t find the ambassador. Fearing the compound will again be overrun, the rest of the Americans - diplomatic security officers and CIA - flee by armored car to the CIA facility, sometimes referred to as the annex. They bring Smith’s body with them.

-11: 10 p.m.: The military diverts an unarmed drone from elsewhere in Libya to Benghazi, but its indistinct nighttime video isn’t much help.

Story Continues →