- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
- Israel’s ambassador praises Obama, slams Human Rights Watch report
World Series of Poker guaranteed new champ
Question of the Day
The World Series of Poker main event will have a new champion, as the final 692 players guaranteed themselves a profit by lasting past the money bubble on Friday.
Players short on chips stalled and pleaded in hopes of outlasting a few more opponents and seeing a return on their $10,000 buy-in in the no-limit Texas Hold ‘em tournament.
Three players were eliminated on the bubble, splitting $18,406 for 693rd place three ways and drawing a high card for a free seat to the event next year.
Zhen Cai of Lake Worth, Florida, won the seat after being eliminated with pocket queens to an opponent with pocket aces. The cash game player who went to the University of Florida said his goal was simply to cash after coming into the day’s session short on chips.
“The entire day, I’ve been telling the table I’m only getting it in with aces, but with less than six big blinds and queens I just put it in there,” Cai said.
Huck Seed, the 1996 winner and last main event champion in the field, was eliminated earlier Friday.
The players left are guaranteed at least $18,406 each, with the tournament continuing through the weekend and determining the final nine players in a session starting Monday. The top prize is $10 million, to be awarded during the final table in November.
Oskar Garcia can be reached on Twitter at http://twitter.com/oskargarcia
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 "criminal aliens"
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- ISTOOK: The secret is out: 'Unaccompanied minors' are only one-fourth of illegal border-crossers
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Tony Dungy doubles down on Michael Sam remarks: 'Drafting him would bring much distraction'
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq