- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
Yankees get LHP Francis in trade with Athletics
Question of the Day
BALTIMORE (AP) - The New York Yankees have obtained left-handed pitcher Jeff Francis from the Oakland Athletics for a player to be named and cash.
The 33-year-old Francis was claimed off waivers by the A’s from Cincinnati on May 18 and went 0-1 with his first career save and a 6.08 ERA in nine relief appearances with Oakland.
He was designated for assignment July 3 when Eric O’Flaherty was reinstated from the disabled list.
Francis is 0-2 with a 5.89 ERA in 10 games this season and 70-80 with a 4.95 ERA in his career with Colorado, Kansas City, Cincinnati and Oakland.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Francis most likely will be used out of the bullpen initially but could eventually see time as a starter. He had not yet arrived in Baltimore prior to Friday’s game against the Orioles.
In other moves, the Yankees recalled right-hander Matt Daley from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and designated righty Jim Miller for assignment.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq