You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

White House sticks by ‘plan A’ to handle illegal immigrant children

- The Washington Times - Monday, July 14, 2014

Even though House Republicans have declared it all but dead, President Obama's $3.7 billion plan to deal with the flood of illegal immigrant children coming across the border remains "plan A" and should be embraced by Congress, the White House said Monday.

The proposal, unveiled by the president last week, has met harsh resistance on Capitol Hill. Key House Republicans have blasted the idea and said a much smaller, more targeted measure is a better idea.

But that opposition hasn't deterred the administration.

"Right now we're focused on plan A. Plan A is something Republicans themselves have advocated for. Pressing this administration to mobilize resources to meet this urgent humanitarian need and enforce the law. That's exactly what we're seeking to do," White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters.

The $3.7 billion would be used for detaining and deporting illegal immigrant families, transporting unaccompanied children back to their home countries, greater law enforcement, housing services for children, the hiring of more immigration judges and other purposes.

GOP leaders, however, believe the focus must be on securing the border and believe the president is asking for too much authority and too much money.

"Our view, I think, as House Republicans, is, look, we're not going to write a blank check," Rep. Michael McCaul, Texas Republican and chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said Sunday. "It's going to be a more targeted approach."

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.