- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Fox News host Bob Beckel gave an on-air apology Monday night for recent comments he made toward Chinese people, but made it clear that he will not apologize to the Chinese government.

“I made some comments last week about the Chinese people which apparently upset some people, for which I apologize,” the liberal co-host said toward the end of “The Five.”

Mr. Beckel came under fire Thursday when he claimed “Chinamen” are the most dangerous to national security, because they learn computers in the U.S, only to “go back to China and hack into us.”

The comments caused a Twitter firestorm and prompted California State Sen. Ted Lieu, a Chinese-American Democrat, to issue a press release calling for his resignation.

Mr. Beckel continued Monday: “However … I do not apologize for the things I’ve said about China — and I won’t go into the litany of it now because there’s too many China apologists in this country — but I will continue to warn the American people about how dangerous China is to the U.S. security and to our business community. But to those who were offended, I apologize. I do not apologize to the Chinese government, or for their habits, or for their murders, or anything else.”