- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A House Republican lawmaker was introducing a measure Tuesday to ban the use of taxpayers’ dollars to renovate the White House bowling alley.

Rep. Patrick Meehan of Pennsylvania, a former federal prosecutor, said he objects to the Obama administration’s reported plans to rebuild the two-lane bowling alley in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building adjacent to the West Wing.

“Smart budgeting means making choices and setting priorities,” Mr. Meehan said in a statement. “With our nation $17 trillion in debt, upgrading the president’s private bowling alley shouldn’t be a priority.”

He added, “That anyone at the White House thought it would be a good use of taxpayer funds is disrespectful to all of the hardworking taxpayers that are struggling to make ends meet in a tough economy. Taxpayers expect — and deserve — better.”

The General Services Administration last week posted a notice online soliciting for contractors’ bids to renovate the bowling lanes, saying the facility is damaged and outdated. But the bid notice White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled” target=”_blank”>was canceled without explanation the same day, and the plans are on hold.