- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Question of the Day
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Benny Feilhaber scored in the 93rd minute, and Sporting Kansas City earned its fourth consecutive road win by beating Columbus 2-1 on Wednesday night.
Feilhaber rifled a shot off the crossbar from just outside the 18-yard box to move Sporting KC into first place in the Eastern Conference.
C.J. Sapong’s header gave Sporting KC (9-5-5) a 1-0 lead in the first half. Columbus (4-7-8) tied it when Chad Barson lofted a cross inside the 6-yard box that deflected off Igor Juliao’s shoulder for an own goal in the 69th minute.
WHITECAPS 1, TORONTO FC 1, tie
TORONTO (AP) - Jermain Defoe’s 63rd-minute penalty kick lifted Toronto FC into a 1-1 tie with Vancouver.
The goal was Defoe’s third in two games and 11th in 13 MLS outings.
Vancouver (6-4-8) took a 1-0 lead on Darren Mattocks’ third goal of the season in the 50th minute.
Defoe tied it for Toronto (7-5-4).
UNION 3, RED BULLS 1
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - Conor Casey scored in the 9th minute and added an assist as Philadelphia ended a seven-game, home-winless streak.
Casey’s assist for Philadelphia (5-8-7) came in the 51st minute when he touched a cross to Fred, who slid it past goalkeeper Luis Robles.
Bradley Wright-Phillips tied it for New York (5-6-8) in the 60th minute.
Philadelphia’s Sebastien Le Toux converted a penalty kick in the 69th minute.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq