- The Washington Times - Thursday, July 17, 2014

A big chunk of taxpayer investment in Afghanistan could go up in smoke because American-paid contractors built structures in danger of catching fire, a new investigation has found.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has spent $1.57 billion constructing roughly 2,000 buildings for the Afghan military forces to use as offices, classrooms, medical centers, barracks and — ironically — fire stations.

But as many as 1,600 aren’t built to match international building code standards, largely due to the use of foam insulation that poses a “significant fire hazard,” the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction reported Thursday.

The Corps has been fixing the problems in some of the structures, but as many of 700 of them are still at risk. Fixing all of the buildings could take an additional $50 million to $60 million.


“While I am primarily concerned that people’s lives may be at risk, I am also concerned that USACE must now spend millions of taxpayer dollars correcting this problem because USACE did not enforce and properly administer its own contracts,” Inspector General John F. Sopko said.

A fire at an arch-span building at Afghan National Army Brigade Camp Sayar is seen here on Oct. 17, 2012. The fire incident report noted the building was 85 percent completed and burned in 30 minutes. (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)
A fire at an arch-span building at Afghan National Army Brigade Camp ... more >

For risking Afghan lives and hundreds of millions in taxpayer money, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wins this week’s Golden Hammer, a distinction from The Washington Times highlighting examples of federal misspending, waste, fraud or abuse.

There have already been two fires that completely destroyed buildings — both in 2012 The structures were still under construction at the time and not being used. A SIGAR spokesperson said no one was reported injured.

USACE Maj. Gen. Michael Eyre sent a memo in January saying it was “an acceptable risk level” to turn the buildings over to the Afghan military because “the typical occupant populations for these facilities are young, fit Afghan soldiers and recruits who have the physical ability to make a hasty retreat during a developing situation.”

That didn’t sit well with Mr. Sopko.

“I am very troubled by such logic, which seems to argue that fire hazards for a building are somehow remediated by the youthful speed and vigor of the occupants,” he wrote in a letter to the Corps, noting that many of the buildings are sleeping quarters and medical facilities, where it might take occupants longer to exit a burning structure.

Last year, SIGAR took the rare step to issue a public safety warning about the buildings, stating that they pose a “serious fire and life safety risk.”

USACE officials said that they’re working to correct a few problems identified in some of the structures but largely disagreed with the investigators’ evaluation, stating that the buildings all at least partially met International Building Code (IBC) and would give occupants enough time to evacuate in the event of a fire.

In the meantime, the Pentagon shouldn’t delay turning the structures over to the Afghans, a response from USACE said.

“The need to turn over facilities on time … during 2014 is critical for transitioning security operation of Afghanistan” to the Afghan National Army, the response said.

The buildings, known as “arch span” or “K span” structures, are long with a round roof and were chosen by the Army because they are usually cheaper and quicker to construct than other types. USACE guidance at the time said that construction should meet the “standard designs, which are in accordance with the IBC.”

Story Continues →