- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 2, 2014

HAYSVILLE, Kan. (AP) - A Kansas teenager is recovering at home after spending three days in intensive care recovering from a scorpion sting.

Fifteen-year-old Parker Hartley of Haysville Hartley was bitten Friday after he played Frisbee Golf at a park in Haysville, while he was barefoot. He put on his shoes after the game and felt a sharp sting and instant pain.

KAKE-TV reports (http://bit.ly/1mjRskI ) Hartley’s parents at first thought he had been stung by a bee or wasp. But within 24 hours, his foot had swollen and Hartley said the pain was unbearable. A nurse at Wesley’s emergency room recognized the sting and he was hospitalized.

Experts say scorpions hide in dark places, so check your shoes if they’ve been outside, or in sheds.

___

Information from: KAKE-TV.