- Associated Press - Sunday, July 20, 2014

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) - Four games into the 2013 season, the Miami Dolphins’ blocking deficiencies were already apparent, with the team on pace to allow an NFL-record 72 sacks.

“If we give up 72 sacks, everybody should be fired - the whole offensive line,” guard Richie Incognito said.

The pace slackened, but the Dolphins still allowed a franchise-record 58 sacks, then sacked their offensive line. They begin training camp with new starters at all five positions.

The lone holdover from last year, center Mike Pouncey, is recovering from hip surgery and will likely miss at least the first couple of games. Incognito and tackle Jonathan Martin, both involved in the bullying scandal that soured last season, departed along with Tyson Clabo, John Jerry and Bryant McKinnie, who combined for 41 starts in 2013.

Sorting out replacements will be coach Joe Philbin’s top priority when training camp begins Friday. Here are some things to watch as the Dolphins begin six weeks of drills:

WHO’S GOING TO BLOCK?: The Dolphins thought they had acquired a long-term left tackle when they took Martin in the second round of the 2012 draft. They rebooted in March by signing free agent Branden Albert to a $47 million, five-year deal. Then they took Tennessee right tackle Ja’Wuan James with the 19th overall pick in the draft.

The guard spots remain up for grabs, and Miami also needs a fill-in for Pouncey.

“We’re a work in progress,” James said.

New offensive line coach John Benton will try to retool a unit largely to blame both for the bullying scandal and for the Dolphins’ feeble offense. They led the NFL in sacks allowed, and top rusher Lamar Thomas scored just twice. The Dolphins managed only one touchdown in their final 24 possessions during a late-season meltdown that cost them a playoff berth.

NEW PLAYBOOK: Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman was fired after the Dolphins finished 27th in yards, and replacement Bill Lazor brought with him a new system. The Dolphins are expected to throw more and run plays quicker. Reviews during offseason drills were mixed.

“The guys are moving fast,” defensive end Olivier Vernon said. “They’re doing a lot of things I’ve never seen before. They confuse the heck out of me sometimes.”

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill was less impressed.

“When you’re out here running these plays for the first time, it may not be pretty,” he said. “We’re all figuring things out.”

TANNEHILL’S TIME: The Dolphins’ 17th starting quarterback since Dan Marino has given the team stability at the position, starting all 32 games in his first two NFL seasons.

But if Tannehill is to keep his job, he needs to improve on his 15-17 record. He knows it.

Story Continues →