- U.N. Human Rights head accuses Israel of war crimes
- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
Ex-NFL players: Concussion settlement ‘lousy deal’
Question of the Day
Seven retired NFL players are objecting to a proposed settlement of concussion claims, calling it a “lousy deal” for ex-players whose symptoms don’t qualify them for compensation.
The players’ lawyers filed a motion in federal court in Philadelphia on Wednesday urging a judge to reject the settlement between the NFL and as many as 20,000 retired players. The settlement provides up to $5 million each for retired players who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease, dementia or other neurological problems believed to be caused by concussions suffered during their pro careers.
The deal excludes players with symptoms of a degenerative brain condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy, those suffering from milder brain injuries and veterans of the defunct NFL Europe, the players’ objection said. The players also said that the proposed claims process is onorous and confusing and that attorneys for the plaintiffs failed to conduct any discovery in the case.
“The revised settlement is a great deal - for the NFL and class counsel,” who would get $112.5 million in attorneys’ fees, the players’ motion said. “It is a lousy deal for the retired players, whose rights have been bargained away without adequate or independent representation.”
A spokesman for the plaintiffs’ attorneys declined to comment on Thursday, referring to an earlier statement touting the deal. An NFL spokesman also declined to comment.
More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. They include former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett and Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon, who suffers from dementia.
A revised settlement agreement filed last week removed a $675 million cap on damages after U.S. District Judge Anita Brody questioned whether there would be enough money to pay all claims.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq