- Associated Press - Thursday, July 3, 2014

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - A 5-year-old developmentally delayed boy has told firefighters he set the fire that killed his father last week in their Buffalo home.

The boy was rescued last Thursday evening by a neighbor who climbed a ladder to a second-floor window and coaxed the child into his arms. The Buffalo News says (http://bit.ly/1pLgKLd ) the boy then informed firefighters who arrived moments later that he had been playing with a cigarette lighter that sparked the blaze.

Firefighters found the 56-year-old father, Tony Miles, in an upstairs bathroom. He died a short time later at Erie County Medical Center.

The neighbor who saved the boy says the child was wearing a diaper at the time. He says the child didn’t want to leave the burning home because his father was still inside.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Click to Read More

Click to Hide