- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
German intel worker accused of spying for the United States
Question of the Day
A German intelligence worker has been arrested on suspicion of spying for the United States.
The BBC reports that the man, 31, was allegedly try to gather details concerning a German parliamentary committee that is investigating claims of U.S. espionage.
Tensions between German and U.S. intelligence communities are already high after German Chancellor Angela Merkel accused the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) of bugging her phone last year.
German news website Der Spiegel reports that the man was paid to pass secret documents to U.S. contacts.
Intelligence breaches are particularly concerning for Germans who have historically been subject to espionage by the Stasi secret police before the fall of the Berlin wall.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kellan Howell, an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covers campaign finance and government accountability. Originally from Williamsburg, Va., Kellan graduated from James Madison University where she received bachelor’s degrees in media arts and design and international affairs with a concentration in western European politics.
During her time at JMU, she interned for British technology and business news website “ITPro” ...
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- Joan Rivers: CNN should be 'ashamed' of its Israel, Gaza reporting
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Golden Hammer: U.S. squandered $34 million on failed Afghanistan soybean project
- EPA chief McCarthy, critics spar at Senate hearing over new rules
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world