- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
CURL: In Obama White House, echoes of Nixon presidency
Question of the Day
There’s a scene in the movie “All the President’s Men” — a terrifying scene — that could easily have been written about the Obama White House today.
In it, reporter Bob Woodward is talking with his secret source, Deep Throat, in a gloomy parking garage about Edmund Muskie’s failed candidacy for the 1972 Democratic presidential nomination, eventual nominee George McGovern, shifty Attorney General John Mitchell, and Donald Segretti, a low-level Nixon aide and political dirty trickster.
Woodward: Does the FBI know what we know? Does Justice? Why haven’t they done anything?
Deep Throat: If it didn’t deal directly with the break-in, they didn’t proceed.
Woodward: Who told them not to?
Throat: Don’t you understand what you’re onto?
Throat: Of course Mitchell knew. You think something this size just happens?
Throat: Don’t concentrate on Segretti. You’ll miss the overall.
Throat: You’re missing the overall.
Woodward: What overall?
Throat: They were frightened of Muskie, and look who got destroyed. They wanted to run against McGovern — Look who they’re running against. They bugged, they followed people, false press leaks, fake letters, they canceled Democratic campaign rallies, they investigated Democratic private lives, they planted spies, stole documents and on and on. Now don’t tell me you think this is all the work of little Don Segretti.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world