- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Bryan Murray diagnosed with cancer; Senators GM coached Caps in ‘80s
Question of the Day
OTTAWA — Ottawa Senators general manager and president of hockey operations Bryan Murray has been diagnosed with cancer.
The team confirmed the diagnosis Monday in a statement on its website. The Senators say he'll begin treatment immediately.
Assistant general managers Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee will manage the hockey operations department in his absence.
The 71-year-old Murray has been with the Senators since June 2004. He spent two full seasons as head coach before replacing the fired John Muckler as GM after guiding Ottawa to the Stanley Cup final in 2007.
He's also served as coach or general manager at Washington, Detroit, Florida and Anaheim.
Murray, who made a brief return to the bench in 2007-08, won the Jack Adams award as coach of the year in 1984 with the Capitals. He was general manager of the Florida team that advanced to the Stanley Cup final in 1996.
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq