A construction worker from California, 40, lost his right hand and three fingers on his left hand after trying to set off fireworks of a professional grade.
Alazar Ortiz was trying to shoot them off in the driveway of his mother's home in San Jose, but the display blew up and he was injured, the Daily Mail reported. Family members reported that doctors had to amputate his right hand, along with three fingers on his left hand.
Family members also described to emergency responders that a "professional grade explosive" that was used to set off the fireworks actually malfunctioned and ignited while Mr. Ortiz was nearby, the Daily Mail said.
Police are now investigating the shop where Mr. Ortiz reportedly bought the fireworks, which were of professional grade and illegal to sell on the streets, the Daily Mail reported.
"So what we're trying to do is to get those fireworks out of the streets, and especially from that store," Mr. Ortiz's nephew, Luis Ortiz, told NBC Bay Area. "For $50, he blows his two hands."
Mr. Ortiz cannot continue employment as a construction worker, his family said, the Daily Mail reported.
© Copyright 2015 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.