- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Hinds deputy indicted in death of basketball coach
Question of the Day
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A Hinds County deputy has been indicted on a manslaughter charge in the death of a youth basketball coach, two months after the men fought outside a gymnasium in northeast Jackson.
Joshua Adams, 37, originally was charged with murder when Justin Griffin, 25, died after the two men fought May 4 at the Mississippi Basketball and Athletics gym. Griffin died May 5.
District Attorney Robert Shuler Smith said Monday that a grand jury indicted Adams for the lesser charge of manslaughter.
Griffin was coaching a youth team and Adams was a referee. Police said a fight started amid a dispute about the officiating of a game.
Adams’ attorney Gerald Mumford has said the deputy, who was off-duty at the time, was acting in self-defense.
“It’s self-defense simply because my client was struck three times before he struck anybody,” Mumford told WAPT-TV in mid-May.
Adams was released on $50,000 bond, and his wife, Chandra Adams, told WAPT (http://bit.ly/1jZKtYS ) that he has been on leave without pay.
The fight was caught on a security camera at the gym.
The Clarion-Ledger (http://on.thec-l.com/1qONlz7 ) reports the video showed Griffin enter the top corner of the picture in fighting stance. When Adams came into view, Griffin threw at least three punches to Adams’ face. Adams appeared to be attempting to block the punches and holding Griffin off with his left hand, and finally threw one punch with his right hand that ended the fight. It appeared that Adams hit Griffin in the chin.
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world