- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Movie fraud sentence upheld
Question of the Day
BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) - A three-judge panel has upheld a 55-month sentence for a man who pleaded guilty to conspiracy in a $28 million movie fundraising fraud scheme in Vermont.
Malcom “Mac” Parker was sentenced last year for his role overseeing the fundraising and filming aspects of a movie project that shortchanged hundreds of Vermonters. A co-defendant, Louis Soteriou, received an 84-month prison sentence.
The Burlington Free Press reports (http://bfpne.ws/1natqb8) Parker’s lawyer appealed the length of the sentence. The 2nd Court of Appeals in New York City ruled Monday that the sentence was reasonable.
Court records say Parker, a well-known Vermont storyteller, persuaded about 700 people to invest in the film by offering double-digit interest payments on their money. About 400 of them ended up being owed money.
The movie was never finished.
Information from: The Burlington Free Press, http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq