- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
India misses deadline for 2019 Asian Games bid
Question of the Day
NEW DELHI (AP) - India is out of the running to host the 2019 Asian Games, with the sports minister saying the country could not put together a proposal in time to meet the bidding deadline.
The Olympic Council of Asia had relaxed the bid deadline of July 1 by a couple of days but the IOA could not arrange government clearances in time.
“We were waiting for a proposal from the Indian Olympic Association,” Sarbananda Sonowal told reporters in New Delhi on Tuesday. “That could not come in time but we are hoping to host to host a big event in the future.”
Bidding for the event was reopened after Hanoi - which had initially been awarded the games - pulled out as host.
India’s bid was initially delayed due to uncertainty about bidding following the strife-torn hosting of the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
Once Indian Olympic officials found the government was open to the idea of hosting the games, they decided to pursue a bid.
However, they are reported to have had a difficulty getting the requisite approvals and clearances from various ministries of the new government, which came to power in May this year.
India held the inaugural Asian Games in 1951 and also the 1982 edition, both in New Delhi. It also put up an unsuccessful bid for the 2014 games which will be held in the Korean city of Incheon.
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors