- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Rebel governor losing hope of Russia intervention
Question of the Day
DONETSK, Ukraine (AP) - A top figure in Ukraine’s separatist insurgency said Wednesday he is losing hope for action by Russian forces and blamed Russian tycoons for dissuading Moscow from military intervention.
Pavel Gubarev, the self-proclaimed governor of the rebel Donetsk People’s Republic, also said there is a split in rebel ranks and his organization no longer controls the murky Vostok Battalion of fighters who man key checkpoints on the outskirts of the Donetsk region’s capital city.
After Ukrainian forces drove separatists out of their stronghold city of Slovyansk over the weekend, Ukrainian officials said forces would aim for a blockade of Donetsk city.
At a news conference, Gubarev said: “We would like to receive help in the form of Russian forces. But we are realists and understand that’s impossible.”
Rebels in the Donetsk region and the adjacent Luhansk region have repeatedly called for Russia to send in “peacekeeping” troops as the fight against them intensifies. Russia has shown no inclination to do so, and officials have said that a peacekeeping mission could take place only with U.N. authorization.
Gubarev suggested that Russian tycoons are opposed to military action, fearing their businesses would be affected. Russia already has been hit with Western sanctions for its annexation of Crimea from Ukraine in March and for allegedly fomenting the unrest in eastern Ukraine, in which more than 400 people have reportedly been killed. Sending forces into Ukraine would almost certainly prompt even harsher sanctions.
“Their selfish interests are understandable,” Gubarev said.
He also said, without providing details, that the Donetsk People’s Republic doesn’t have control of the Vostok Battalion whose fighters include men from Russia’s North Caucasus provinces including Chechnya. The Vostok Battalion appeared in Donetsk in late May, taking over a building previously held by the DPR fighters and raising questions about the balance of power within the insurgency.
If the Vostok and DPR fighters are genuinely under separate command, any attempt by Ukrainian authorities to negotiate with rebels would be even more difficult than it has proven to be so far.
Nonetheless, Gubarev vowed that his group would stand up to any attempt by Ukrainian forces to take the city.
“There is nowhere to retreat to,” he said. “For us, it’s either victory of death.”
Balint Szalko in Donetsk contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq