‘Arsenio Hall’ canceled after only one season

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

“The Arsenio Hall Show” is being canceled just one season after its host’s bid to enjoy the success he enjoyed 20 years ago failed to produce ratings.

The show’s last original segment was May 21 and will not resume production, Variety reported. The news was reportedly shocking to staffers, because CBS and Tribune had previously committed to a second year of the show.


SEE ALSO: Lionsgate sets sights on ‘Hunger Games’ theme park


“Unfortunately, ‘The Arsenio Hall Show’ will not return for a second season,” CBS said in a statement. “[W]hile there are many loyal fans of the show, the series did not grow its audience enough to continue. Arsenio is a tremendous talent and we’d like to thank him for all the hard work and energy he put into the show. We’d also like to thank Tribune and all our station group partners for their support of the show.”

“I’m really proud of our show, I’m proud of Arsenio and I’m proud that he got back on the air to do what he does so well,” said Mr. Hall’s manager John Ferriter. “My one regret was that we had many, many celebrities who told us they wanted to do the show but we couldn’t get their reps to book them.”

Mr. Hall began his original series in 1989, but by 1994 his ratings had slipped and the show ended. He struggled to revive the show last year among a even more crowded late-night television lineup. 

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks