- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Morris traded by Pirates to Marlins for draft pick
Question of the Day
Miami also placed catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia on the seven-day concussion list Sunday and recalled catcher J.T. Realmuto from Double-A Jacksonville. Saltalamacchia was hurt when he took a foul tip off his face mask in Saturday’s game against Atlanta.
Morris will join the Marlins on Monday and is expected to give their struggling bullpen a boost. Through Saturday, Miami’s relievers ranked 21st in the majors with an ERA of 3.96, while the starters ranked 10th with an ERA of 3.70.
“We’ve had some issues in the bullpen, and we just wanted to make it deeper,” president of baseball operations Mike Hill said.
Morris is 4-0 with a 3.80 ERA in 21 games this year, and he has a career ERA of 3.46 in 81 games. He was a first-round draft pick by the Dodgers in 2006.
“We’ve seen a lot of him,” Hill said. “He was a first-round pick out of high school - a power arm up to 97, and a power curveball behind that.”
The Marlins traded away their third pick in the draft. They still have six of the first 107 picks.
“We want to try to get him in a couple of games,” manager Mike Redmond said. “We’re hoping that Salty is just a short-term deal, but you never know with concussions.”
Saltalamacchia batted only .177 in May, dropping his average for the season to .237, and he has committed eight errors.
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq