- Big milestone for Britain’s little Prince George who turns 1
- Murphy: Israel must be wary of Hamas using civilian deaths for recruitment
- Royce: Putin recruiting ‘every skinhead and malcontent around Russia’
- Nancy Pelosi is adamant: Congress worked together when Bush was president
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous veteran
- Kentucky city called socialist for buying gas station, undercutting competitor fuel prices
- Israel hits five mosques, sports complex in overnight Gaza strikes
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters’ questions on book tour
- EPA tweet baffles: ‘I’m now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’ iPhone game
- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
US-born Rossi left off Italy’s World Cup squad
Question of the Day
ROME (AP) - Giuseppe Rossi will miss out on the World Cup once again.
The American-born Italy forward was among the players cut from the Azzurri’s final World Cup squad on Saturday, in a repeat of what happened to him four years ago.
Coach Cesare Prandelli apparently judged that Rossi hadn’t fully recovered from his latest right knee injury in January. Rossi has always been one of Prandelli’s favorite players, but the coach opted not to gamble on his fitness despite the forward having been the Italian league’s leading scorer before getting injured.
Rossi was also one of the final cuts by then-coach Marcello Lippi in 2010, although Lippi said last week that he regretted that decision.
Rossi was born in New Jersey to Italian parents and was offered a chance to play for the United States ahead of the 2006 World Cup, but he has always said it was his dream to play for the Azzurri. Now Rossi will have to wait until 2018 - when he’ll be 31 - for a chance to play in the World Cup.
Also cut from Prandelli’s 30-man preliminary squad were: forward Mattia Destro; Brazilian-born midfielder Romulo, who has been dealing with a muscle problem; and fullbacks Manuel Pasqual and Christian Maggio.
Key midfielder Riccardo Montolivo was ruled out after breaking the tibia bone in his left leg against Ireland.
Center back Andrea Ranocchia was selected as a 24th man to go to Brazil as a possible replacement for Andrea Barzagli, who has been fighting injury all season.
Rossi led Serie A with 14 goals in 17 matches with Fiorentina until he re-injured his right knee in January, sidelining him for four months. He returned a month ago but has not played a full 90 minutes since coming back and occasionally appeared hesitant against Ireland.
Besides sure starter Mario Balotelli, Antonio Cassano and Torino strike partners Ciro Immobile and Alessio Cerci were also chosen at forward.
Cassano made the squad following a resurgent season with Parma. After two years away from the national team, his appearance against Ireland was his first since the 2012 European Championship final.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters' questions on book tour
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq