- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
30 homes evacuated in LA County gunman standoff
Question of the Day
NORWALK, Calif. — Authorities say they’ve evacuated 30 homes in a Los Angeles suburb because a gunman has barricaded himself in a house.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department says the 37-year-old man has a rifle and is wearing a bulletproof vest.
The standoff in Norwalk began at about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday when a joint federal, state and local task force tried to arrest the man, who’s on probation for armed bank robbery after serving nine years in prison.
Authorities say when task force members approached him the man pointed the rifle at them and then ran back into the home.
They say another man is also inside the home.
Crisis negotiators and police dogs have joined deputies and U.S. marshals at the scene.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- The List: Top 20 TV medical shows
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq