- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
Question of the Day
All Times EDT
U.S. GOLF ASSOCIATION
Site: Pinehurst, North Carolina.
Course: Pinehurst Resort and Country Club, No. 2 Course (7,562 yards, par 70).
Purse: TBA ($8 million in 2013). Winner’s share: TBA ($1.44 million in 2013).
Television: ESPN (Thursday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., 5-7 p.m.; Monday, if necessary, noon-2 p.m.) and NBC (Thursday-Friday, 3-5 p.m., Saturday-Sunday, noon-7:30 p.m.; Monday, if necessary, 2 p.m.-playoff conclusion).
Last year: Justin Rose became the first English winner in 43 years, finishing at 1-over 281 at Merion in Pennsylvania. Phil Mickelson and Jason Day tied for second, two strokes back.
Last week: Ben Crane won the rain-delayed St. Jude Classic in Memphis, Tennessee, shooting 69-73 in a 30-hole Sunday finish for a one-stroke victory. … Sweden’s Mikael Lundberg won the Lyoness Open in Austria, beating Austria’s Bernd Wiesberger on the first hole of a playoff.
Notes: Mickelson, winless in 20 events since the British Open, has six runner-up finishes in the event - the first a dramatic loss to Payne Stewart in 1999 at Pinehurst. … Michael Campbell won the 2005 event at the course. … Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw renovated the Donald Ross-designed layout in 2011 to restore native sandy areas. … Three-time winner Tiger Woods is sidelined following back surgery. … The U.S. Women’s Open is next week on the course, the first time the tournaments have been contested in consecutive weeks on the same layout. … The 2015 event will be played at Chambers Bay near Tacoma, Washington. … The Travelers Championship is next week in Cromwell, Connecticut.
PGA Tour site: http://www.pgatour.com
European Tour site: http://www.europeantour.com
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq