- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 10, 2014
Woman gets 7 years for suffocating infant son

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A Minnesota woman has been sentenced to seven years in prison for suffocating her 3-month-old son in 2009 and trying to do the same to her infant daughter in 2012.

Twenty-six-year-old Ashleigh Casey pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and assault in March. The Star Tribune (http://strib.mn/1phtfgahttp://strib.mn/1phtfga ) reports prosecutors had asked for 12 years, the punishment recommended by state sentencing guidelines.

Hennepin County Judge Fred Karasov says he decided on a sentencing departure because Casey was remorseful and had been successful in therapy.

Casey declined to speak during Tuesday’s hearing.

Casey also tried to suffocate her infant daughter while the baby was a patient at the University of Minnesota Hospital. That led to authorities reopening the case of her son’s death and charging her with murder last year.

___

Lawyer seeks church’s electronic data on priests

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Attorneys for victims of alleged sexual abuse by clergy are asking a judge in St. Paul to order the archdiocese to turn over its electronic data on accused priests - such as emails, texts and data on hard drives - so they can get an even deeper look at what church leaders knew and when.

If the judge agrees, attorney Jeff Anderson said, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis will be required to turn over more of its internal communications than ever before.

“I think it really will give us a very deep insight into the inner workings (of the church) and the conscious choices being made by the top officials,” he said.

The archdiocese did not immediately answer questions sent via email. Ramsey County District Court Judge John Van de North will hold a hearing on Anderson’s request later this month.

Anderson said he and his colleagues have already received roughly 70,000 pages in documents from church officials as part of a case in which they claim the archdiocese and the Diocese of Winona created a public nuisance and risked public safety by keeping the names of accused priests secret.

___

Minnesota tax collections below mark for 4th month

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - For a fourth straight month, Minnesota’s tax collections have come in slightly below expectations.

The Department of Minnesota Management and Budget reported Tuesday that the state took in $17 million less than anticipated in May. That’s 1.1 percent below the amount officials estimated in a February long-range forecast. Income and corporate taxes missed the mark the most.

For the fiscal year, which closes this month, the state is $95 million below its revenue benchmark.

Officials stress caution in interpreting the monthly figures because they look only at the revenue side and don’t account for changes in state spending patterns. They add that timing of individual income tax payments and refunds can shift the month-to-month figures.

A more-comprehensive report is due in July.

___

Dayton: NFL Super Bowl requests go ‘way overboard’

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A list of requests by the NFL of cities bidding for the Super Bowl go “way overboard” in the eyes of Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton.

Still, he says the benefits of hosting the 2018 outweigh the perks the host committee may have granted in landing football’s championship game. Dayton addressed the topic Tuesday, days after the Minneapolis Star Tribune documented freebies the NFL expects of its hosts. The state’s Super Bowl bid committee insists any costs - from extra police to free hotel rooms and entertainment venues - will be covered by private dollars.

Minnesota’s bid hasn’t been released, with a stadium authority citing exemptions to public data laws. Dayton says he’d have “no problem” with releasing more information but he deferred to lawyers involved in the project.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide