- Dancing Kim Jong-un video sparks North Korea fury
- Delta cancels all Israel flights over missile fear; US Airways also stops flight to Tel Aviv
- Philadelphia mosque leaders try to sever hand of accused thief
- NAACP: Detroit water shutoffs are racially motivated
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Big milestone for Britain’s little Prince George who turns 1
- Murphy: Israel must be wary of Hamas using civilian deaths for recruitment
- Royce: Putin recruiting ‘every skinhead and malcontent around Russia’
- Nancy Pelosi is adamant: Congress worked together when Bush was president
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous veteran
Southern Baptists salute Hobby Lobby in fight against Obamacare
Question of the Day
BALTIMORE | The Southern Baptist Convention on Wednesday honored Hobby Lobby President Steve Green with an award for his ongoing fight against the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate.
Mr. Green and and wife Jackie accepted the John Leland Award for Religious Liberty from the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission for being “heroes of religious liberty.”
“This is an award for demonstrating steadfast commitment to religious liberty by your unwillingess to separate your faith from the daily operation of your business,” said commission President Russell Moore. “This is for showing the conscience of the business owner belongs to God and not to any human government, and this is for reminding us that religious freedom is a gift from God, our birthright, not a grant from the state.”
Mr. Green and his chain of craft stores are awaiting a decision from the U.S. Supreme Court as to whether they and other for-profit companies will be required to insure birth control or face potentially crippling fines.
The commission also honored Saeed Abini, an American pastor who has been imprisoned in Iran since 2012 for preaching the Gospel.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Humanists seek support from Congress on military chaplains
- Islamic State's threats on Christians used to win support of Muslims
- Higher Ground: Urban Outfitters in hot water over deity duvet
- U.S. firefighters, emergency responders volunteer to help in Israel
- Church of England allows female bishops
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Obamacare dealt massive setback by federal appeals court
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters' questions on book tour
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq