- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
Marine prosecutor behind office raids reassigned
Question of the Day
CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (AP) - The senior Marine Corps prosecutor behind a raid on defense lawyers’ offices at Camp Pendleton has been reassigned after a judge ordered him off several cases.
Maj. Ray Slabbekorn has been pulled from his post as senior trial counsel for Camp Pendleton and given a position with the Marines’ complex trial team for the West Coast, the Marine Corps Times (http://bit.ly/1oZxtWb) reported Thursday.
A Marine Corps review after last month’s unusual raid found that it did not compromise cases.
But on Tuesday, a military judge decided the search was a case of “apparent unlawful command influence,” meaning an observer would have reason to believe the government had unfairly interfered with the legal process.
The judge ordered Slabbekorn off some cases and placed other restrictions on him.
Camp Pendleton spokesman Jeffrey Nyhart said the limitations had made it impossible for Slabbekorn to do his job, so he was reassigned.
The Associated Press could not reach Slabbekorn for comment, and when reached by the Marine Corps Times he deferred to Nyhart.
In the May 2 raid, military investigators said they were looking for a cellphone in a case involving drug use and gang activity. They said they continued to search all of the defense attorneys’ offices even after locating the cellphone in a desk drawer because the lawyers would not verify that it was in fact the correct phone.
Defense lawyers say the 2½-hour search overstepped bounds, may have tainted scores of cases and compromised their client-attorney relationships.
Civilian defense attorney and military law expert Phil Cave said the search may not have been illegal, but it was a serious public image misstep.
“You’ve got the prosecution in the defense counsel offices searching files, upending couches. That doesn’t look pretty,” Cave told the Marine Corp Times. “The optics were not good.”
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Obama pressed on Sudanese mother's case, facing death sentence over Christian faith
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq