- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
FIFA warns of fake tickets being circulated
Question of the Day
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - FIFA said Friday that it rejected about 50 fake tickets for the opening World Cup match in Sao Paulo between host Brazil and Croatia.
FIFA marketing director Thierry Weil said the tickets for Thursday’s game were “an example of real professional fakes, not the poor imitations made in a copying machine.”
And he’s guessing there are more.
“Even for us, it’s extremely complicated to see if it’s a fake ticket or a real ticket,” Weil said. “We need to communicate to the fans that there are tickets going around that are fake tickets that are extremely difficult if not impossible to recognize.”
Weil held up a ticket that looked identical to an authentic ticket. He said it might even include the electronic chip - although a chip that would not work and would be detected when it was scanned entering the stadium.
He said some matches might be targeted more than others by counterfeiters, but did not say which matches they might be.
“You have no pleasant time when you have a family - father, mother and three kids coming - and you have to reject them. But we have to because they are fakes.”
He said those detected on Thursday must be the tip of the iceberg.
“Based on the quality of how they are done, there must be far more tickets in circulation than only those 50.”
Stephen Wade on Twitter: http://twitter.com/StephenWadeAP
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world