- Nancy Pelosi: Congress worked together when Bush was president
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous veteran
- Kentucky city called socialist for buying gas station, undercutting competitor fuel prices
- Israel hits five mosques, sports complex in overnight Gaza strikes
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters’ questions on book tour
- EPA tweet baffles: ‘I’m now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’ iPhone game
- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez tells Hispanics to vote and ‘punish those’ who oppose amnesty
- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
Padres sign 1st-round draft pick, SS Trea Turner
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - The San Diego Padres have signed their top draft pick, speedy shortstop Trea Turner from North Carolina State.
Turner was selected No. 13 overall last week. He batted .321 with eight homers, 12 doubles and three triples as a junior this past season, leading the Atlantic Coast Conference in runs (65) and stolen bases (26). The right-handed hitter had a .418 on-base percentage and .516 slugging percentage in 54 games.
In a news release Friday night, the Padres also say they have signed second-round pick Michael Gettys, an outfielder from Gainesville High School in Georgia, and third-round choice Zech Lemond, a right-handed pitcher from Rice.
The club has signed 22 of its 40 draft picks.
The Padres were in New York on Friday night to play the Mets.
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters' questions on book tour
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- EDITORIAL: Snipers from the left target Hillary
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq