- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
France leaves out Giroud for opener v Honduras
Question of the Day
PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil (AP) - French coach Didier Deschamps has picked winger Antoine Griezmann in place of Olivier Giroud to face Honduras Sunday in his team’s opening World Cup match.
Giroud had been tipped to start as a central striker after some impressive recent performances, but Deschamps picked Karim Benzema in that role and put Griezmann wide on the left.
Griezmann has impressed since breaking into the team in March, scoring three goals in just four matches.
The rest of the France team is as expected with a settled midfield of Paul Pogba, Yohan Cabaye and Blaise Matuidi.
Mamadou Sakho and Raphael Varane form an inexperienced center-half pairing, with Mathieu Debuchy and Patrice Evra at left back. Goalkeeper Hugo Lloris captains the side.
Honduras coach Luis Suarez tasked midfielder Wilson Palacios with breaking up France’s attacks, while Maynor Figueroa wins his 10th cap in defense. Carlo Costly, who has 31 international goals, is paired in attack with Jerry Bengston.
France: Hugo Lloris, Mathieu Debuchy, Mamadou Sakho, Raphael Varane, Patrice Evra, Yohan Cabaye, Paul Pogba, , Blaise Matuidi, Mathieu Valbuena, Karim Benzema, Antoine Griezmann.
Honduras: Noel Valladares, Brayan Beckeles, Maynor Figueroa, Andy Najar, Victor Bernardez, Emilio Izaguirre, Luis Garrido, Luis Garrido, Carlo Costly, Roger Espinoza, Jerry Bengston.
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq