- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
FAMU hires Samuels to coach men’s basketball
Question of the Day
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida A&M; has hired Byron Samuels as its next men’s basketball coach.
Samuels, 50, takes over a program that went 14-18 last season and hasn’t had a winning record since 2006-07. The team is also serving a one-year postseason ban from the NCAA due to poor academic progress numbers. The Rattlers are not eligible to win the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) regular season championship in 2014-15.
Samuels is replacing Clemon Johnson, who new athletic director Kellen Winslow fired in April.
Samuels has been a head coach at Hillsborough Community College (2010-12), Radford (2002-07) and Hampton (1995-97). He was also an assistant coach at Tennessee from 1997-2001. Samuels was the basketball operations coordinator at Georgia for one year starting in June 2013. Other coaching stops included Washington State and UNC-Wilmington.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq