- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
White flight subject of documentary ‘Spanish Lake’
Question of the Day
ST. LOUIS (AP) - A new documentary looks at white flight and its impact on an area of St. Louis County.
The incorporated community of Spanish Lake was a largely white suburb in the 1970s. A short time later, nearly all of the white residents had moved out.
Former resident and filmmaker Phillip Morton’s documentary “Spanish Lake” is now showing at the Tivoli Theatre in St. Louis.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1hR8Tbg ) reports the documentary finds that a big factor in the changing demographic was when apartments converted to Section 8 housing, providing subsidies to help needy residents. Dislocated whites have blamed the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for the change.
HUD officials recently screened the film, simulcasting it on May 12 to about 10,000 employees nationwide.
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq