- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Sen. Tom Coburn says Obama missed chance to lead in fight against terrorists
Question of the Day
Mr. Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, said that the nation should have left a residual force in Iraq and that it needs someone who can explain to voters the importance of stopping Islamic terrorism from spreading across the Middle East.
“Because ultimately it is going to land on our shores if we don’t,” Mr. Coburn said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “Real leadership is doing the right best thing for the country even when the public isn’t with you — trying to win you over and suffering the consequences if you didn’t but still doing the right thing. And we have have not done that.”
Mr. Obama campaigned in 2008 on the promise to end the war in Iraq.
“We are going to have one of two things: Either we are going to have Americans put at risk again because we didn’t leave a residual force there,” he said. “We are either going to do that or a lot of people are going to die, and you are going to see this continuing worsening conflict throughout the Middle East.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Achin' for Akin: Democrats praying for GOP Gaffes in midterms
- GOP 2014: Republican governors cite their economic stewardship
- Perdue, Nunn square off in race for Georgia's open Senate seat
- Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff locked in dead heat
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq