- Associated Press - Thursday, June 19, 2014

BOSTON (AP) - The owners of the former chemical plant in Everett that Wynn Resorts wants to develop into a $1.6 billion resort casino have signed statements that no secret partners will profit from the land deal, the Las Vegas-based casino giant said Thursday.

Michael Weaver, Wynn’s senior vice president of marketing, said completion of the statements means the casino has resolved a major concern for state gambling regulators as Wynn vies for the lone casino license in the potentially lucrative Boston region.

The Massachusetts Gaming Commission has voiced concern over reports that two convicted felons - Charles Lightbody and Gary DeCicco - still have a financial stake in FBT Everett Realty, the land holding company that is in negotiations with Wynn to sell the 30 acre site along the Mystic River for $35 million.

State law bars criminals from profiting from casinos. Lightbody, who has been convicted of assault among a host of other crimes, and DeCicco, who has been convicted of insurance fraud, had been partners in the FBT Everett Realty, but have said they gave up their interests years ago.

On Thursday, the commission provided copies of signed statements by property owners Anthony Gattineri, Dustin DeNunzio and Paul Lohnes. DeNunzio and Lohnes signed their statements in December and Gattineri signed his Saturday after months of refusing to do so on the advice of his attorney.

But the commission declined to say whether the statements, as worded, are enough to assuage its concerns. Spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll said the commission’s legal staff will present the statements to the panel at a later date.

Mohegan Sun, which is competing against Wynn for the Boston-area casino license, declined to comment Thursday. The tribal casino operator proposes a $1.2 billion casino on the Revere side of the Suffolk Downs horse racing track.

Competition for the Boston-area casino license, which is expected to be awarded in late August or early September, enters a new phase Friday with the gaming commission meeting to discuss transportation and traffic issues related to the two competing plans at the Hynes Convention Center. The meeting sets the stage for two separate public hearings next week: one for Mohegan Sun in Revere on June 24 and one for Wynn in Everett on June 25.

The two casino operators, meanwhile, are continuing to negotiate with Boston Mayor Martin Walsh’s administration on financial compensation agreements.

Earlier this week, Walsh asked gambling regulators for at least one more week to reach deals with the casinos that would compensate Boston for impacts to city services. If no deal is reached by June 23, the two sides could go to arbitration.

Walsh spokeswoman Kate Norton said the administration continues to meet with casino officials but has not ruled out filing a lawsuit to halt the casino licensing process. “Everything is on the table,” she said.

Walsh wants city voters to have a chance to vote on the casino proposals, as residents in Revere and Everett have done. But the gaming commission has ruled that Boston does not have that authority because it is not a “host community” like Revere and Everett.