- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
Heitai wins inaugural Evangeline Downs Turf Sprint
Question of the Day
OPELOUSAS, La. (AP) - Heitai led all the way in winning the $300,000 Evangeline Downs Turf Sprint by 3 3/4 lengths Saturday in the richest thoroughbred race in the track’s 49-year history.
Ridden by Diego Saenz, Heitai ran five furlongs on the turf in 56.03 seconds. He paid $6.60 to win. The 4-year-old is a son of 2000 Kentucky Derby winner Fusaichi Pegasus. Heitai, pronounced Hay-tie, is the Japanese word for soldier.
“He was really running and pulling on my reins,” Saenz said. “I just rode him like a winner.”
Whiskey Bravo finished second and Snappy Girl was third.
It was Heitai’s sixth win in seven starts this year.
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world