- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
Karzai, presidential candidates not on deputy defense secretary’s Afghanistan agenda
Question of the Day
The Defense Department’s second highest-ranking official is in Afghanistan this week, meeting with deployed U.S. military troops and senior Afghan leaders. But notably absent from the agenda is a discussion with outgoing Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren said that while Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work is visiting Kabul, Afghanistan, he will be receiving U.S. military updates and assessments. And although Mr. Work will be meeting with Afghan leaders, he does not intend to meet with Mr. Karzai or either of Afghanistan’s top political contenders in the upcoming election, Mr. Warren said.
“While in Afghanistan, he’ll receive briefings on NATO-Air Training Command and International Security Assistance Force operation,” he said. “He plans to meet separately with military leadership, including Gen. [Joseph] Dunford. He’ll also meet and speak with deployed service members.”
Gen. Dunford is the head of NATO’s coalition in Afghanistan and was recently tapped by the Obama administration to be the next commandant of the United States Marines Corps.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Maggie Ybarra is military affairs and Pentagon correspondent for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- DoD fires 9 active-duty company commanders serving in Afghanistan
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world